Health authority based in Kelowna ordered to pay $25 thousand to a Penticton couple.
The Office of the Ombudsperson investigated a complaint of David and Nancy Varcoe and ordered Interior Health to formally apologize, refund more than $25,000 in residential care fees, develop guidelines and train staff on responsibilities under the Adult Guardianship Act.
David Varcoe told the government his wife was held hostage in a care facility which prompted a stinging report from the office of the province’s ombudsperson and an apology from a health authority.
The story began when 60 year old Nancy Varcoe was admitted to Penticton hospital for emergency treatment in late 2010. She was then transferred to a care facility in March 2011 and held there until May 2013 despite her wishes to be discharged.
“My wife was held like a hostage,” Varcoe said. “If this isn’t unlawful confinement, or leading to that, what else is?”
Nancy Varcoe a registered nurse, suffered a series of strokes over the years and is partially paralysed. She also has several other health issues and is currently in hospital in Penticton after suffering a fall.
Her husband contacted the ombudsperson in 2012 with concerns that Interior Health refused to discharge her. She had been admitted to the care home as an involuntary patient under the Mental Health Act.
A two-page report, dated April 2, 2015, and signed by Rachel Warren, an officer in the Office of the Ombudsperson, said Interior Health staff believed the woman was vulnerable and had concerns about how she would be cared for at home.
But the report said staff didn’t take the steps set out under legislation to pursue an order allowing them take over the woman’s care.